(above) Commonwealth Golf Club - 16th hole
Although the first ball was struck in Tasmania and the first club formed in New South Wales, Australian golf’s spiritual home is Victoria. The history of the game in this country is inextricably tied not only to the state but also the 1891 birth of our greatest golf club, Royal Melbourne. Prior to its momentous shift to the southern Sandbelt the club hosted the nation’s first professional match and first men’s amateur championship and also became the first in Australia to be granted the ‘Royal’ prefix.
The discovery of the club’s Sandringham site and subsequent move inspired other clubs to seek out similar sandy golfing grounds and the Melbourne Sandbelt was born. By the end of the 1920’s the city’s major clubs had established themselves within the Sandbelt and the area subsequently developed into arguably the finest and most recognisable golf region on Earth.
Sandbelt courses include famous tournament venues such as Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Victoria, Huntingdale, Metropolitan, Commonwealth, Yarra Yarra, Woodlands and Spring Valley.
The actual Sandbelt area is located to the South East of the Melbourne CBD and is blessed with ideal golfing conditions. Its superb courses are built on a magnificent sandy base, which allows instant drainage and ideal playing surfaces year round. The majority of the courses are located within a 10-15 kilometre radius of each other.
The leading Sandbelt golf clubs are private, however limited access is granted to international and interstate golfers.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance and advice on securing tee times.
Melbourne Sandbelt Golf Packages
2-Day Golf Package $575 PP
- 2 Nights accommodation
- Cooked breakfast daily
- 2 rounds of golf (Commonwealth and Huntingdale)
5-Day Golf Package $1215 PP
- 4 Nights accommodation
- Cooked breakfast daily
- 4 rounds of golf (Commonwealth, Victoria, Peninsula and Huntingdale)
Packages include pull carts at all courses and shared motorised cart at Peninsula
· Festival period and weekend surcharges apply.
· No access to any course Saturday however some Sunday tee times are available
· Accommodation is at Travel Lodge Southbank (twin share basis)
· Packages can be adjusted to suit
· Transfers can be organised to all clubs
· Price is based upon 4 players
· To access some Sandbelt Clubs golfers must have proof of membership at a recognised interstate Golf Club
· All packages include GST and are subject to change upon quotation
· Other courses available include Kingston Heath, Metropolitan, and Yarra Yarra
· Rates are for GolfLink Australia members and overseas golfer surcharges apply
To book a Sandbelt golf package email email@example.com.