Golf Australia Magazine published their latest list of Public Access Rankings in the January 2023 Edition.
For a comparison of these rankings with those from The GOLF Cuurse Guide and Golf Digest see here
NB Golf Australia Magazine excluded the following courses as they have reduced their public access:
|SANCTUARY COVE - THE PINES|
|SANCTUARY COVE - THE PALMS|
To see how these courses ranked in other publications click here
GA TOP-100 RANKING CRITERIA
When ranking a course, judges were advised to ask the following questions to themselves to determine where a course stands in their list.
• Is there a good balance of par-3s, 4s and 5s? Is there good variety?
• Is risk-and-reward a factor on many holes?
• How fair is the course for all players?
• Does the design offer a wide selection of shots bringing any variation of wind direction into play?
• Does the course set-up (mowing lines, rough) complement the design?
• How memorable are individual holes and the course as a whole?
Things to consider include:
• The overall condition of playing surfaces. Take into consideration elements out of control of course staff like drought, bushfire and flood.
• Are the fairways cut to be well-defined from semi-rough and rough?
• Have the bunkers been well-presented. Is the sand consistent?
VISUAL APPEAL (10%)
In relation to public access courses, visual appeal is an important factor in not only attracting golfers but also getting those same golfers to play the course again and again. Visual appeal makes up the remaining 10 percent. Things to consider include:
• How aesthetically pleasing is the course to look at?
• Are there many holes that have the ‘wow’ factor?
• Does the course bIend well with its surrounds?